Posted by Jon Mark on 27 June 2014 11:23 AM
MalwareBytes is an effective tool for removing malware and spyware from a computer. This program should be run once a week, and additionally if your computer is behaving abnormally.
- Download the free MalwareBytes application from https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_current/ clicking on Save to save the installer to your computer. Be sure to take note of where it is being saved.
- Once the installer is downloaded, you will need to double click on the installer to install the program. Note that you may need to restart your computer to finalize the installation.
- When prompted, click Run
- Click Ok to select English
- Click Next
- Click "I accept the agreement" and then click Next
- Click Next
- Click Next to install it in the location that is displayed
- Click Next to create a shortcut in the Start Menu folder
- Click Next to create a desktop icon
- Click Install
- Click the option to restart your computer (if you are using a GC virtual computer, you will need to wait a few minutes until your virtual computer restarts...about 5 minutes)
- On the Desktop, find the Malwarebytes icon and double click it
- When the application opens, it will check to make sure that it has the latest version. After that, you can click on the Scan Now button to start the scan. The process could take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, so it would be best to do this over the lunch hour, or at the end of the day.
- After the scan completes, if it found anything it will display the items. Make sure there is a check in the boxes next to each item, and then click on Remove Selected
- You will need to restart your computer to allow it to completely remove the items.
updated 7/6/17 NP