Setting up and using the Turnitin App for iPad
Set up: To set up the Turnitin App you will need an iPad, a computer, and a Turnitin assignment in your class that has an assignment submitted.
You will need to complete these steps one time per class.
- On your iPad, go to the Apple Store and download the Turnitin App.
- When the app has finished installing, tap on it to open
- A pop-up box with instructions will appear. Read them, or hit “skip” in the top right corner to move on.
- From the home screen, hit Access Code (it will turn blue once selected):
- On a computer, go to your course in Moodle.
- Click the name of a Turnitin Assignment that has student work submitted
- From the Submission Inbox, click the tiny pencil to the right of the grade to access Grademark.
- In the bottom left corner of Grademark click the Tablet icon, then Generate code:
- Go back to your iPad, and type the code in and hit Add (it is not case sensitive, and you do not need the spaces).
Note: these are one time use, unique codes. If you need to share one with another user, you will need to generate a 2nd, different code.
10. To add more courses, tap the Profile icon in the top right corner:
11. Repeat the process until all your courses have been added to the App!
NOTE: You only need to do this once per class, unless your class contains both Turnitin and Turnitin/Mahara assignments. In that case, you need to provide an access code for each assignment type. Accessing assignments:
- Under Accounts, select Goshen College
- A list of courses you’ve added to the app will appear:
- Tap a class to access the assignments for that course.
- All your Turnitin assignments for that course should appear. Select the one you want to grade.
- Tap on an assignment to grade.
- Select “Sync Papers” – this downloads all the papers to you iPad, giving you access even when offline (so be sure to download the papers BEFORE you hop on a plane!)
- After the papers have synced, tap the assignment again. The paper selected will open.
Commenting & Grading:
- To add comments directly to the paper, tap on the screen.
- QM stands for QuickMark. These are commonly used phrases when grading.
- The speech bubble allows you to add a lot of text using only a small amount of space, but students cannot view these comments on the iPad.
- The T is for “Text.” These comments can be viewed by students on iPad, but take up more space than the bubble comments.These options will appear (image right).
- Type your comment then tap elsewhere on the paper to save.
- To delete or edit, tap the comment and select the trashcan icon.
- To add general comments on the whole paper, click the edit pencil in the top right hand corner. (Note: Once you have graded the paper, the icon changes from a pencil to the grade).
- To record a grade, click Edit Grade, and type the grade in the pop up box.
- To save, click elsewhere on the screen.
9. The grade & comments sync automatically to Moodle!
10. To get to the next paper, click back (top left), then Assignment (top left), and select the next paper from the list.
Note: For students who did not submit an assignment, you will need to go into your Moodle grade book and manually enter a zero.