On a computer running Windows 10
On the computer with the local printer, do the following to share the printer:
- go to start- Printers and Scanners
- click on the printer you want to share to select it and then click the manage button
- click printer properties
- sharing tab
- click share this printer
- click apply, then OK
Now go to the computer you want to add the shared printer and delete the old shared printer (if there is one), then :
- click on Start
- go to Printers and Scanners
- go to Add a Printer
- choose to Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer
- choose "The printer that I want isn't listed"
- select the "Select A Share Printer By Name" option
- type in the computer name and printer name path. eg. \\STU-EVENTS-WIN7\OCE-Color-Inkjet Note, if you don't know the computer's name, click on Start, Control Panel, System and Security, and then click on System. The computer name will be listed in that window.
- click on Next
- If this process made this shared printer the default printer, change the default printer back to the printer they use as their default. Do this by going into Start, Devices and Printers, and then right click on the desired printer and choose Set as Default.
- print a test page to make sure the printer was added correctly.
*Note, the computer that has the shared printer locally attached must be powered up in order to print to that printer from another computer.