Class Groups and Assessments in Mahara
By defining class groups (adding your students to a group in Mahara), you can use Mahara’s assessment & feedback tools. This document outlines how you can set up groups and then use these features.
Setting Up Class Groups
* Note, you need to be set up in Mahara as a “Staff User” in order to set up class groups. If you do not see the options in this guide, you may need your setting changed. Contact Erin Milanese (x7426).
- From your Dashboard in Mahara (log in at portfolio.goshen.edu to access your dashboard), click on the Groups tab.
- On the Groups page, click on the Create Group button.
- Provide a name and (optionally) a description for your group in the fields at the top of the page.
- Then, in the settings section, select the options you see in the screenshot on the next page:
- Change the Membership to Controlled
- Change the Roles option to Course: Member, Tutor, Admin
- Click box next to Members can submit pages to the group
- Turn off Shared Page Notifications
- Click Save group.
- After saving your group, you’ll be taken to the details page for it.
- Click on the Members tab.
- On the Members tab, click on the link to Add many users at once
- Then, (1) search for your class members (you can search by first or last name) and, (2) add them by clicking the purple arrow to move them to the right-hand side of the window. Repeat this for all members of your class.
- If any students are missing from the Potential members list, that means that student has not yet logged into Mahara.
- When all your students are added to the right-hand window, click Submit
- That’s it! You’ve successfully created your group.
Submitted Pages for Assessment
These are steps you can show to your students so that they will know how to submit pages to you for assessment/feedback.
- Students should navigate to the Page in their Portfolio area of Mahara that they wish to submit.
- Students should scroll to the Bottom of the page they wish to submit.
- They will see an option to submit the page for assessment. They might be a member of several classes, so be sure to tell them to select the group for your class (which will have the name you established when you created it using the process above; here we’ve used a course+section number)
- When the student clicks Submit the page will be submitted to you for feedback.
- At the end of the semester, they will need to submit each page of their collection to you. NOTE: When the student clicks submit the page will be “locked” and they will not be able to edit it until you have Released the page
Reviewing Pages Submitted for Assessment
This section of the guide shows how to review pages submitted for assessment, release them back to the students for continued work, and provide feedback (optional).
- From your Mahara Dashboard, navigate to the Groups tab.
- From the list of groups you are in, select the group you created for the class.
- The group’s information will appear. On the About tab, about 2/3 of the way down, you’ll see a list of the pages submitted for assessment as well as the time they were submitted. Only you will be able to see them.
- Click the title of a page to view it.
- After reviewing a student’s page, you will need to release it.
- Open the student’s page and scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen.
- At the bottom of the student’s page, you’ll see an option to Release the page. You can also provide feedback to the student by clicking the Place feedback link. The student will receive an email notifying them that you placed feedback (the email will include your comments).