Glossary of Terms used on Campus
- A system for connecting a number of computer systems to form a local area network
- The Goshen College network file server. This is where all college-related files should be stored.
- The service website designed for GC students and employees. Services include changing your GC account password, checking academic status, enter hours on time card, etc.
Google Drive (Google Docs)
- Integrated into your Google Mail and calendar account is Google Drive. This platform can support Microsoft office documents, images, and Google Docs. Each user has unlimited quota. Unlike the M:Drive you may access Google Drive off campus. You may also access the Google Drive on your iPad or other mobile device.
Google Mail (Gmail)
- GC’s email client for all users. It is also GC’s calendar client. Google Mail is a web-based e-mail service that you access anytime, anywhere from any device as long as you have an Internet connection.
- Internet Message Access Protocol, the recommended protocol for retrieving e-mail messages at Goshen College.
- Also known as an electronic mailing list. Is a special usage of e-mail that allows for widespread distribution of information to many users
- An open source ePortfolio and social networking web application It provides users with tools to create and maintain a digital portfolio of their learning. Social networking features allow users to interact with each other.
- Each person’s access to GC File network storage.
MFP or Dept. copier
- Multifunctional printer that can scan to m drive, scan to email, print or copy. Printing is cheaper than using a conventional printer
- An online course management system used by professors and students. Accessible from the oncampus page.
My Documents Folder Folder on M: Drive
- Each user’s personal network storage space. Backed up nightly.
- The amount of printing that is available to you. You can see your balance in GC online.
- A ResNet, which stands for residential network, is a relatively large local are network (LAN) provided by a university that serves the personal computers of students in their residence halls. A ResNet usually allows students to connect to a university's intranet with (possibly limited) access to the public. Internet ResNet is essentially the ISP for students residing in campus managed housing.
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, for sending email messages between servers. SMTP authentication ensures that only GC users are allowed to send Email through GC Mail Servers.
Solstice (Software used in Un 002 collaborative lab)
- Enables multiple users to connect simultaneously to a shared display using a range of devices over a WiFi or Ethernet network. With a Solstice-enabled display in the room, any number of users can instantly connect, share and control the display, fostering collaboration and decision-making SSL Secure Sockets Layer encrypts communications between the email servers and your computer so your password is not sent in clear text.
- A unique name generated by ITS for each person on campus, using your first, middle and last names
Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)
- A desktop operating system within a virtual machine (VM) running on a centralized server.
- An online, open source website creation tool and content management system (CMS) written in PHP and MySQL.