Goshen College Information Technology Services
Requirements for Windows PCs
1. Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. or 10
For compatibility and support reasons older versions of Windows (95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 8) are no longer supported on the campus network.
2. ITS approved anti-virus/anti-spyware software installed and up-to-date.
The recommended anti-virus software is Microsoft Security Essentials. You may also use the following instead of Security Essentials: Sophos, Norton, Symantec, McAfee, AVG or Avast.
For more information go to: www.goshen.edu/its/files/other-av.html
3. The latest Windows service packs and all critical updates installed.
Turning on Windows Update will ensure that you have the next update as soon as it is available.
Requirements for Macintosh
1. Mac OS X v. 10.8.5 or newer
2. Hardware capable of running the above OS version.
Requirements for Linux and others
1. Must support standard TCP/IP protocols.
2. Given an Ethernet address ITS will provide DHCP/DNS service.
3. Must be managed so as not to cause problems for other computers.
NOTE: ITS does not provide support for Linux or other operating systems.
Goshen College has made changes so that game consoles and mobile devices now connect to the GC network.
You no longer need to give ITS the MAC address of the device. If you experience problems connecting your device to the GC network, contact us at: email@example.com
Need Assistance? Contact the ITS Help Desk! If you need assistance or have questions contact the ITS HelpDesk at ext. 7700 (535-7700) or email "firstname.lastname@example.org". The Help desk's hours through Aug. 26th, are Mon.-Fri. 8 am-noon and 1pm-5 pm. The Help Desk will be open Saturday, student move in day, 1pm-3pm & 7pm-9 pm. Closed on Sunday, August 28th. Starting Monday, August 29th, the Help Desk hours are:
Monday-Thursday 8 am-noon, 1-11pm
Friday 8 am-noon, 1-5:30 pm
Saturday 2 pm-4 pm
Sunday 7 pm-11 pm
If you get our voicemail please leave a message with your full name, room number, phone number and a description of your problem or question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
What ITS can and can't do
Goshen College provides students and staff access to a virtual lab computer from anywhere with an Internet connection. The computer may be accessed either through a web browser or by installing the VMware Horizon Client, which is available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS and Android. When using the Horizon Client please use view.goshen.edu for the server name. For more information visit: https://www.goshen.edu/its/virtual-lab/
What if I don't have a computer?
Goshen College provides computers for students free of charge in the following locations.
- KMY Connector 2nd Floor Lounge- 3 machines
- KMY Connector 4th Floor Lounge- 3 machines
- Kulp Basement- 2 machines
- Library 102- 23 machines
- Library stacks- 24 machines
- NC 12- 12 iMac desktops
- Union 004- 26 Mac Mini desktops with access to Windows Virtual Machines
- VA 22- 16 iMac desktops
- SC 008- 10 machines
- SC 105- 2 machines
- SC 306- 2 machines
Getting Connected to the GC Network
- Click on the Wireless icon (top right of screen on Mac, bottom right on Windows), and select the network "gc"
- When prompted, input your Goshen username (NOT email address) and password.
- Windows users will receive a Windows Security Alert. Click on Connect.
To enhance your academic experience with your iPad, you will need to install specific applications onto your
iPad. To install these applications:
- Press the Home button on the iPad
- Tap the GC App Catalog application
- Tap the Menu icon located in the upper left corner
- Tap “Public”
- Tap on “Install” for each of the following:
- Google Drive – for managing files that you place in your Google Drive account. Once installed,
start up the app and log in with your Goshen College email address and password.
- Google Docs – for creating documents with your iPad)
- Google Sheets – for creating spreadsheets with your iPad)
- Google Slides – for creating slide presentations with your iPad)
- BlueFire Reader – for reading eBooks that are available through our campus library
- Tap the Menu icon
- Tap “Purchased”. The Purchased area contains applications that the college has purchased for you.
- Find GoodReader and tap on “Install” – this app is for viewing PDFs and annotating on them, which will be useful when your professor places PDFs in Moodle as supplemental course material.
There are also optional applications available in the “Purchased” section that you can install if you need to use
• Notability – use this application for simple note taking in class
• WolframAlpha – a robust research application
• click on Knowledgebase
• click on iPad Support
If you need support with using Google applications, go to https://service.goshen.edu
• click on Knowledgebase
• click on Google
If you need additional support assistance or experience any hardware issues with your iPad, bring your iPad to the Help Desk, which is located in the basement of the Union building, under the Bookstore. You can also phone the Help Desk at (574) 535-7700.