Getting Connected to GC Wireless
Connecting on a Windows computer:
- Download the attached gc.zip file at the bottom of this article
- Open the gc.zip file and double click on gc.bat
- Click on the Wireless icon in the System Tray
- Click on "gc" to connect to the GC wireless network
- Click on the Connect button
- When prompted, enter in your Goshen College username and password, and then click on OK.
- You may receive a Windows Security Alert window. Click on the Connect button to accept the wifi certificate
- Note: the new wireless infrastructure does not support Windows XP when connecting to "gc", therefore all Windows XP users will need to connect to "gc-guest" on the new wireless system.
|You should only need to complete these steps once for each Windows computer you wish to use on the wireless network.
If after following the above steps you still have problems connecting your Windows computer to the wireless network, follow the below steps to manually configure your wireless network connection:
- Open Control Panel
- Click on Network and Internet, and then click on Network and Sharing Center
- Select Manage Wireless Networks
- Click "Add" and select "Manually Create a network profile" (If you have previously connected to "gc," see note below)
- For the network name, type in gc
- For the Security Type, choose WPA2-Enterprise
- For the Encryption type, choose AES
- Select Next, and then click "Change Connection Settings"
- Under the Security Tab, click Advanced Settings, and select the checkbox labeled "Specify Authentication Mode"
- Drop down the menu to select User Authentication and click OK
- Under "Choose a network authentication type, "Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP)" should be selected.
- Click on the Settings button.
- Uncheck Validate Server Certificate
- Click on Configure
- Uncheck "Automatically use my Windows login name and password (and any domain if any)"
- Click OK
- Click OK again
- Click on the Advanced Settings button
- Make sure the Specify authentication mode box is checked, then in the drop-down, select "User Authentication"
- Click on OK
- Click on OK again
- Click on the wireless icon in the task tray
- Click on the GC network, then "Connect." If you're already connected, click on the Disconnect button, then re-connect by clicking on the Connect button
- When prompted, enter your Goshen College username and password
*If you have previously connected to the GC network, you can also edit the settings for that connection, by double clicking the network in the "Manage Wireless Networks" window, and skipping to step 9.
If you need further assistance, contact the ITS Help Desk at ext. 7700, or firstname.lastname@example.org