After an iTunes upgrade, the iPad or iPod is no longer recognized in the device list in iTunes. Also received an error message when connecting the iPad or iPod to the computer: "This device cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) is not started."
Solution for Windows 7: (retrieved from http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567 )
- Close iTunes and disconnect any iPhone, iPad, or iPod that's currently connected.
- Access the Run command by simultaneously pressing the Windows logo key and the R key on your computer's keyboard.
- Type services.msc and click Ok. The services console should open.
- Right-click on Apple Mobile Device Service and click Properties in the shortcut menu.
- Set the Startup type pop-up menu to Automatic.
- Click Stop the service.
- After the service has stopped, click Start the service.
- Click Ok.
- Restart the computer.
- Open iTunes and connect the device.
Updated 6/11/19 PG