Students who leave Goshen College (either due to graduating or withdrawing, can continue to use their GC computer and email account for 6 months following the date of the last class taken at GC. After the 6 months, your account will be shut down and all files and email messages will be permanently deleted. Below are instructions on how transfer copies of your files and email messages to a personal account prior to departing from Goshen College. It is important that you follow the below instructions to retrieve copies of your email and files because after the 6 months pass and your files and email are deleted, we will not be able to retrieve them for you.
Students can use Google Transfer to transfer content from their Goshen College Google account to a personal Google account, using the below instructions. Note, these instructions only work if your Goshen College account is still currently active.
Transferring Your Goshen College Google Account Content To A Personal Account
Google provides an easy way for you to export your Goshen College Google account content to a personal Google account, using Google Transfer. With Google Transfer, you can transfer the entire contents of your email account, and/or the entire contents of your Google Drive, to a personal Google account.
What you can transfer:
- All email messages in Gmail.
- Documents that you own in Google Drive (except files in the “Google Photos” section of Drive).
- Documents in Google Drive that someone has shared with you that you are an editor of.
What you cannot transfer:
- Contacts, Chats, or Tasks. (See below for an alternative method for Contacts.)
- Documents that have been shared with you, where the owner has turned off downloading, printing, and copying of the file(s).
- Files/images that are in the “Google Photos” section of Drive.
- YouTube content. (See below for an alternative method for YouTube.)
Instructions for using Google Transfer
- Log into your Goshen College email account.
- Then, go to https://takeout.google.com/transfer.
- Enter in the email address of the Google Account where you want to copy your content to (your personal Google account address).
- Click on Send Code.
- Open up a private browsing window in your web browser, and go to https://mail.google.com and sign into your personal Gmail account. For instructions on how to open a private browsing window, see https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95464?hl=en for the Chrome browser, or see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/private-browsing-use-firefox-without-history for Firefox.
- Log into your personal Gmail account and look for the email message that contains the Code. The subject line should say, “Verify your account.” Open that message and click on the Get Confirmation Code button. Make note of the code, then return to the account transfer window for your Goshen College account, enter in the code, then click on Verify.
- Choose the content you want to transfer, and then click on Start Transfer.
Details about the transfer process
- The transfer process usually happens within a few hours, but it can take up to a week depending on how much content you have.
- Transferred files might appear in batches on your Google Account during the transfer process.
- When your files are finished transferring, you'll get an email at your personal Gmail address, confirming the completion.
- For files in Drive, any comments in a document remain intact, but revision history is no longer available.
Finding your transferred files and email
- Gmail: Transferred content will have a label with your school account name and the date you started the transfer process.
- Drive: Transferred content will be in a folder labeled with your school account name and the date you started the transfer process.
Downloading Contacts, Google Photos, YouTube Videos, etc.
To acquire other content that cannot use the above Transfer instructions, such as Contacts, Google Photos, YouTube videos, etc., you can use the Google Takeout tool to create an archive of the content, and save that archive to your personal computer.
- Sign into your Goshen College Google account.
- Go to https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout
- Under the Select Data to Include section, turn on the product that you want to make an export of the contents. To see more details and options for a product, select the Down arrow next to it.
- Click Next.
- Choose your archive’s file type; either .zip or .tgz. Note: .zip files can be opened on almost any computer, but .tgz files may require additional software to open.
- Choose the maximum archive size. Note, archives that are larger than 2 GB may be split into multiple files.
- Select the delivery method of “send download link via email.”
- Once the archiving process is complete, you will receive an email message in your Goshen College account with the subject line, “Your Google data archive is ready.” Open that email message and click the Download Archive button.
- If prompted, enter in your GC password.
- Choose where on your computer to save the file. It is recommended that you choose either the Downloads folder, or the Desktop. The filename will begin with the word, “takeout,” and end in .zip or .tgz, depending on which format you had chosen earlier.
Importing Your Archived Content
Once you have exported your Contacts, Photos, or YouTube videos using Google Takeout, you will be able to import it into the Google service of your personal account. Following are some support links for a few of those Google services:
Transferring Your Goshen College Microsoft Account Content To A Personal Computer or Personal Office 365 Account
While you have access to your school files stored in your Goshen College Office 365 account, you can easily move them to a personal Office 365 account.
STEP 1: Download your Goshen College Office 365 files to your personal computer
- Go online to https://onedrive.live.com
- Sign in with your Goshen College email address and password.
- Select all of the folders and files in OneDrive by clicking the circle above the files
- Click the Download button, and choose to save them in your computer’s Downloads folder
- The content will be saved in a Zipped file format.
- Go to the Downloads folder on your computer and unzip the file that you downloaded.
- You can stop here and just keep your files on your personal computer. However, if you wish to pay Microsoft for a personal Office 365 account, proceed to Step 2 below.
STEP 2: Create a personal Office 365 account
Microsoft offers personal Office 365 accounts at various subscription levels. Pricing information can be found at https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-US/plans/
Note that the free account offering only gives you 5GB of free OneDrive cloud storage.
- Go to https://onedrive.live.com, click on See Plans, and select the subscription level that you want.
- Follow the prompts to create your personal Office 365 account. When signing up, make sure you use a personal email address, and NOT your Goshen College email address.
STEP 3: Copy your files to your personal Office 365 account
After you have followed both Step 1 and Step 2 above, do the following to copy the files you downloaded in Step 1 into your new personal account.
- Go to https://onedrive.live.co
- Sign in with your personal email address and the password.
- Click the Upload button. Note, you will need to upload files separate from folders
- Click Files
- Navigate to the downloads folder on your computer and find the files that you had downloaded from your Goshen College Office 365 account. Select all of the files and then click Open.
- To upload any folders, click the Upload button
- Click Folder.
- Navigate to the downloads folder on your computer and find the folders that you had downloaded from your Goshen College Office 365 account. Select all of the folders and then click Upload
- Compare what has been uploaded into your personal Office 365 account with the files that are in the Downloads folder on your computer to make sure that all of the files and folders uploaded successfully.
Remember, your account will shut down 6 months after the last class you take, and all of your files in Google Drive and Office 365 (OneDrive) will be permanently deleted. Once they are deleted, we will not be able to retrieve them for you.
Getting Additional Help
If you experience problems, see Google’s support article at https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6386856. If you still need additional assistance, contact the Goshen College Help Desk at (574) 535-7700.