Microsoft Office 365 for Employees and Students
Employees and currently enrolled students are able to use Microsoft applications for free!
How the program works:
This offer is only available to employees and currently enrolled Goshen College students. Alumni and retirees are not eligible. When you sign up for your free Office 365 subscription, you are eligible to use it for as long as you are employed at, or a student of Goshen College. You will get the latest version of Microsoft Office, and can install it on up to five personal computers or devices. You can also use their Web Apps! With your free Office 365 subscription, you also receive 1 TB of cloud storage in Microsoft's OneDrive.
How to sign up:
- Go online to Office.com/GetOffice365
- Sign up using your Goshen College email address. Enter in your Goshen College email address and click the Get Started button. (You will need to sign up with your Goshen College email address in order to get the free account.) DO NOT make the account password the same as your Goshen College password! Create it using a different password. If you happen to forget this password, ITS can help you reset it.
Account Term: Your free Microsoft account is active for as long as you are a student of, or employed at Goshen College. You can use it at home, at work, and on your mobile devices.
Cloud Storage: Microsoft uses OneDrive for its cloud storage. With your free account, you have 1 Terabyte of free storage in OneDrive for your Microsoft files.
Accessing OneDrive and the Microsoft Apps: You can access OneDrive and the Microsoft Apps in 3 ways: through a web browser, on an iPad or Android device, or on a computer that has the Microsoft applications installed.
Though a web browser
- Go to https://onedrive.live.com
- At the top right, click on Sign In, and enter in your GC email address and your Microsoft account password. You are now signed into the OneDrive cloud storage area of your Microsoft account. Here you will see folders and files that you have created/saved to OneDrive.
- To open the Microsoft apps in your web browser (Word, Excel, etc.) click the Application Menu , and then click on the application you wish to open.
- When you click to open a file, you will see a preview of that document. To edit it, click on the Edit button in the upper right. From there you can choose to edit it in the browser, or in the Word, Excel, or PowerPoint applications that are installed on your computer.
On an iPad or an Android device
From the OneDrive App
- Open OneDrive and enter in your GC email address and your Microsoft account password.
- When you tap on a file in OneDrive, it will open a preview of it. To edit the file, you will see either a Word, Excel, or PowerPoint icon in the upper right corner. Tap on the icon to open it in the appropriate application so that you can edit it.
You can also do the following so that taping on a file in OneDrive will immediately open the file in the appropriate application, rather than showing a preview first:
- go to OneDrive
- at the bottom, tap on
- tap on Settings
- swipe to turn OFF “Preview Office Documents.”
From the Word, Excel, or PowerPoint app
- If you’re not yet signed into your Microsoft account, you will be prompted to sign in.
- Tap Open
- Tap OneDrive-Goshen College
- Tap on a file to open it.
- Changes that you make will auto-save.
- To exit the document, tap the icon.
Through the Microsoft Office applications that are installed on your computer
Sign into your Microsoft Office 365 Account:
- Start up Word, Excel, or PowerPoint. If the splash screen opens when you launch Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, click on the Sign In button on the left side of the screen. Sign in with your Goshen College email address and your Microsoft password.
*If you are already signed in, you’ll instead see your name.
- If the splash screen doesn’t open and you’re taken directly into Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, look for a Sign In option in the upper right corner of the application. Sign in with your Goshen College email address and your Microsoft password. *If you are already signed in, you’ll instead see your name.
- If neither of the two above options are there, click the File menu and then click on Account.
- click on the Sign In button and then sign in with your Goshen College email address and your Microsoft password.
Opening Files that are in OneDrive when using the apps installed on your computer:
Once you are signed into your Microsoft Office 365 account in either Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, click the File menu and choose Open, or click the icon on the ribbon.
You may see two OneDrive locations: “OneDrive-Goshen College” and “OneDrive”.
You will use “OneDrive-Goshen College”. Click on OneDrive-Goshen College to access your files that are stored in the cloud.
Installing Office 365 Applications On Your Personal Computer
With your Office 365 Educational Account, you can install Microsoft applications on your personal computers, and use the applications for as long as you are a student at, or employed at Goshen College.
- On your personal computer, open your web browser and go to https://onedrive.live.com
- Click the Sign In option
- Sign in with your Goshen College email address and the password for your Microsoft account
- Once signed in, click on the “Office 356” option in the upper left corner
- Then, on the right, click the “Install Office apps” button and click on Office 2016
- Follow the prompts to save the download to your computer. Once the download has completed, you’ll need to click on it to have it install the applications on your computer. This process will take some time, so be sure to plan ahead.
When your collaborators are simultaneously editing files by using a combination of iPads, Android devices, the web apps, and applications that are installed on their computer, changes aren’t always seen in real time.
- with editors who are using the web apps, those using iPads or Androids can see the edits immediately, or within a minute or so.
- with editors who are using the iPads or Android devices, those using the web apps will either see the edits immediately, within a minute or so, or sometimes the editor has to exit the document to push out their changes.
- with editors who are using the applications installed on their computer, they first need to click the Save icon to either push out their changes so that they are seen by those who are using iPads, Android devices, or the web apps, and to also see the changes that those using the devices or web apps have made.
- If you’re choosing to use OneDrive to store your Microsoft files, in addition to using Google Drive for Google files, it might become tricky to remember in which location you have stored your files. Google files are stored in Google Drive, and Microsoft files are stored in OneDrive.
Updated 11/13/18 pg