If you cannot log onto your virtual office computer due to any of the following error messages:
- the desktop is currently logging off a previous session
- the assigned desktop resource is not currently available
first, wait another minute and then try again. If you still cannot get logged on, you should see a reset button in the lower right corner of the screen. Click on it to reboot your virtual computer. The reboot process will take a full five minutes to complete, after which you should be able to log on. If the problem persists after you've tried to reboot it, call the Help Desk at (574) 535-7700 for further assistance. If the Help Desk is closed and no one is available to assist you, you can temporarily log onto a "non-persistent" virtual computer so that you can keep working. See below for information.
Logging on to a non-persistent desktop means you are logging on to a generic virtual computer, not your own.
When connected to a non-persistent desktop you WILL have access to the following:
- all of the institutional software that ITS provides
- your M: drive (GCFile)
- GC email, calendar and Google Drive through the Google login (https://www.google.com and sign in with your GC email address and password)
- access to your Google Chrome browser bookmarks if you already have Chrome Sync set up to store your bookmarks in the cloud
- Jenzabar EX and Infomaker (if you have problems running Infomaker, you will need to run the Infomaker Configuration Tool to fix the issue)
- printing AFTER you re-add your department's printers. Click on Start and in the search box, type in \\print.goshen.edu and press enter. A window will appear listing the campus printers. Find the one you want to add and double-click it to add it.
When connected to a non-persistent desktop, you will NOT have access to the following:
- any files that you would have saved to your virtual computer's desktop, or items in the Downloads folder
- access to your Firefox or Internet Explorer browser bookmarks
- access to Chrome browser bookmarks if you ARE NOT using Chrome Sync to store your bookmarks in the cloud
To log onto a non-persistent desktop, do the following:
- if after trying to log onto your own virtual office computer you get an error (the big red bar with an error message), DO NOT click the "close" button to clear away the error,
- below the error message you will see an option for "Offices Non-Persistent." Double click on the "Offices Non-Persistent" option,
- if prompted, sign in with your GC username and password,
- contact the Help Desk at (574) 535-7700 or firstname.lastname@example.org to leave a message letting us know that you weren't able to log onto your virtual computer and need us to reset it for you.
- After ITS resets your virtual computer, you will be able to log off the non-persistent computer and then log onto your virtual computer.
Remember, using a non-persistent desktop is a temporary work around for you until the ITS department can reset your virtual computer so that you can once again log onto it.
If you have questions about these instructions, contact the Help Desk for further assistance.
updated 10/1/15 pg